Sunday, June 14, 2009

Presenting... My soy milk maker!

Here's good ol' Bessie.

Fresh warm milk, straight from the... bean.

I really like soy milk but I was really getting tired of having to buy it so often, for exaggerated prices, and then still having to pay for the added garbage. I would buy plain, unsweetened soy milk because I really didn't see the point of all the added sugar and my husband couldn't eat it because he is diabetic. I originally started drinking it when I was still a lacto-ovo vegetarian when it started to dawn on me that my body was not processing dairy well (later to realize I have a dairy allergy as well as being lactose intolerant!) All I had been looking for was something similar to standard milk, not a soy drink that would be strange to cook with.

Even when I was still buying the soy milk in the cartons, I always felt like I was having to keep track of how much I was using so I could portion it out and all the micromanaging was driving me batty. I sat down and figured out that if I was using soy milk at the same rate if I made it myself that I was currently, it would only take four months for a soy milk maker to pay for itself and would last years. Sure it takes time to process it, but going to the store, dealing with people and their stress is definitely more detrimental to my everyday stability than making a gallon of soy milk every four days or once a week is. This was simply a no brainer.

The reality? I'm totally stoked and LOVE it! For me the soy milk is a tiny bit more watery than what I had been buying, but other than that there isn't any difference that I can tell. I didn't count on the unexpected bonuses:

#1: It saves more money than I expected because of #2!
#2: the super high quality OKARA!!

Okara, how do I love thee...

Okara is definitely different than slimy, green okra.
(Soy) Okara is low in fat, high in fiber, and also contains protein, calcium, iron, and riboflavin. It contains 76 to 80% moisture, 20 to 24% solids and 3.5 to 4.0% protein. On a dry weight basis okara contains 24% protein, 8 to 15% fats,and 12 to 14.5% crude fiber. It contains 17% of the protein from the original soybeans.

#3: Not contributing to the cattle industry. I really do not get preachy about this sort of thing, but I was rather shocked about the fact that okara from commercially made soy milk (that a LOT of vegans would not live without) goes towards cattle feed. I'm happy knowing that it's one less thing I'm doing to reduce the negative impact that I leave on the world from simply making my own soy milk!
#4: Fresh hot coco that is WONDERFUL!

Look at that foam!

#5: Almond Milk! I had never had this before and I rather like it. My husband really doesn't prefer soy milk or even regular milk straight (to drink or in cold cereal, etc.) but said that he even likes to eat almond milk with his cereal better than eating the dry cereal like he has for years.
#6: Almond okara! Similarly almost tasteless like the soy okara but I have found one recipe so far that is a tiny bit better with the almond okara.

I cannot fathom why some people throw it out! It is sooooooo easy to use and I have been working on some recipes that I intend to post once I get some more of the kinks out. We use the okara so much that my husband said that we need to find recipes that use a lot of soy milk so we can have more okara to use. It has a texture very similar to reconstituted instant potatoes (but a bit more grainy.) I was actually a bit afraid of buying a soy milk maker because I had made soy milk 'by hand' with the blender once and it was so vile that no one could use it. Before then I had no idea that soy milk could be so bitter. This was also my first experience with okara but it was exceedingly chunky compared to the silky okara that I get now.

The Conclusion? I really love my SoyaJoy. it is VERY easy to use and makes high quality soy milk, almond milk, and okara. I simply do not regret buying it even though the initial $125 seemed like a lot. The okara has helped me replace the expensive veggie patties and saves us a fair amount from just those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Whisks and Mittens